Sunday, February 9, 2014

January 15, 2014 -- Another Baptism

Hey fam!!!

The new area...it's not as pretty as Vicenza. It's not pretty really. But it's a new area!! The city is dirty and kind-of...sketch. Ya, dad, it's the right place. Also, this city is crazy wierd. But it's a lot bigger than Vicenza and a lot of people don't know english! We take the buses and the metro for our transportation! No bikes because I guess they broke down a long time ago...they're just sitting outside on our balcony. I don't know what to do with them. Absolutely, no American food! I'm in the Italian world for good now! So, it's coming around pretty well. My collega is Anziano Heaton from St. George and he's one of those guys who loves to go hunting for elk. He's a fun guy. He doesn't really take the senior comp. thing really seriously, which is fine because my last collega did and what he said kinda went, but my collega now is laid back but he works. He's been here for two transfers. So it's all good!!

The work here is different. One, the companionship here has been here for a long, long time. I found some records back in 2001-2003. I don't even know if those people still live here! In fact, I've found some teaching records with Stew's name on them :) I guess he served here too. Ask him how weird the city is because it's super crazy/weird!! There's a ward here and the members are really nice! I like them. We stay with another companionship and one of them is Italian! He's trying to learn English, and we've done some exchanges since I've been here, and he's a pretty cool guy!! He helps me with my Italian and then I help him with his english! It's fun because he doesn't know the American idioms and the slang, and I don't know the Italian ones, but it's fun to learn together! Two, since we're on buses and stuff, we have to do more contacting. I'm not used to that. I'm always used to jumping on the bike and cruising to whatever we needed to go. So, it's been a new learning experience for me. I feel like Vicenza was kinda of a second home to me and that I knew the people. I didn't really have a problem stopping people randomly, after a while, because I felt like they were part of my home. And the ward members were cool too. It's just weird moving to a new city because you don't know anything about it!! And Brescia is wierd...the investigators are super weird. We have one invest. who just dabbles in deep doctrine. That's it. She reads doctrine and covenants and loves Joesph Smith but she doesn't have a testimony of modern prophets today. And the lesson that I had last night was appalling. Before I got here she wanted to know how to become an angel or something like that and then the missionary that was last here, said that angels don't progress. Bad mistake. YOU DON'T MENTION/TALK DEEP DOCTRINE. YOU ONLY TALK ABOUT WHAT'S IN PMG. I was upset when my collega told me this, because one, we're not supposed to talk about this stuff, and two, the last missionary loved talking about deep doctrine with this investigator!! So, she wanted to know where in the scriptures it said that angels don't progress so we had to go find it in D&C and then show it to her. My collega marked the verses and told her to read ONLY the marked verses but then she goes, "aspetta. Leggo questi", and I went in my head, "oh flip. We're done for." and she read about becoming gods and stuff...it was bad. We didn't know what to do. Tonight we're going to call President and see what he says because she's nuts.

I'm working on being bold and it's a work in process! I think it'll always be a work in progress...

Oh, ya, we got a baptism this past Sunday. I never even met the guy until the baptism! It's weird to see the reaping because I wasn't there for the planting and growing process. My collega was there the whole time though. His name is Marco Ucchedu and he's from Sicilia!! He's a great guy! Never really talked to him though. I'll let you know how he is when we start teaching him the new convert lessons.

Love ya,
Anziano West

No comments:

Post a Comment