Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Almost time to leave the MTC

What up, Fam?!

So, this past week went by super fast. It was insane. Mom, I haven't got your DearElder but I hope I do because I wanna hear from you. I'll keep my eye out for the letter. Tell Laura thanks for her letter. And did Ben really quit Papa Murphy's? Because Aubrey's letter said that he was still working but I got a letter from him saying he quit (he only gave Andrew a 10 min. notice...typical) and that he now works at Wal-Mart. But I don't really know...

A lot of things have happened and I'm going to put in the important things obviously. So, here it goes...

I'll start out with the fun stuff. I realized I haven't been doing that lately but some recent events finally convinced me to let you know how we spend our nights. So, we do a lot of different things for entertainment but last night, I have to say, was one of the best. A rap battle (don't worry, it was clean) was staged between Anziano Larson and Anziano Wilson. Now, the reason why we got to a rap battle was because last week we had the Mexican missionaries move onto our floor. It used to be empty for about four weeks and it was nice because it was just us Italians and there were more showers to use, but for some reason, some of the Italians aren't gettin' along with the Mexicans...so this is what happened. Anziano Skinner, who is from Treemont, Utah (he is a total cowboy. His cowboy talk is amazing!) dressed up like a G and strutted down the hallway in our Residence Halls and did four pull-ups with the Mexican missionaries watching. He totally acted like he owned the place and strutted back to our hallway. All of us were laughing so hard because he looked like an idiot with aviators, a bandanna wrapped around his arm, and dog-tags hanging from his neck. So funny! We then sent down two more Anziani dressed like G's and they did pull-ups, acting like they're all tough and everything, and all the Mexican missionaries just watched. It was so funny because the Mexican missionaries didn't say a word! Anyway, two of our Anziani decided to have a rap battle and this is how they set it up last night. Anziano Skinner grabbed his suit jacket and stuck up the collars to look like an officiator, Anziano Driggs was something like an announcer. You know how in boxing matches and stuff you have the announcer go, "Round Twooo!"? Anziano Driggs was the announcer for each verse. Anziano Dean, Anziano Warnick, and some other Anziani would lay down the beat. Ya, it was pretty cool. We then had the audience we consisted of the other Anziani (including me) and we just all acted like we were G's watching a rap battle. And the rap was terrible (it actually made the whole thing hilarious because the rhymes were horrible. Just smack talk) but it was the funniest thing that has happened here among us Italians. Loved it.   

Last night we had Elder Anderson come talk to us. Ya, I know right! Another apostle! And he talked about Love and Sacrifice. He said a phrase that he wanted all of us missionaries to remember. I'm going to paraphrase it: "You sacrifice for the things you love and you love the things you sacrifice". Perplexing, right? Anyway, his talk was thought provoking, but he promised us that we would have blessings if he stick out the trials and the afflictions. He connected that with Love and Sacrifice and what Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father did for us. It was top notch. One thing I noticed about Apostles lately, and I thought that it was interesting, is that they know how to take control of the situation and direct it anyway they want. They'll cut people off, or insert a comment, something. But it isn't impolite how they do it...they're just assertive. If they want something to go the way they want they assert themselves and get the job done. They know how to lead the situation. Just an observation.  

I got my travel itinerary!! We're supposed to gather at the travel office at 5:30 in the morning on Tues. Sep 3. We leave SLC around 10:45 and head to Chicago, which we then leave later in the afternoon on a direct flight to London and then we end up in Milan around noon Italian time. I think. But ya, exciting!!! And I got a letter from my Mission President and, I thought this was weird, but he promised me that I would confront a variety of challenges. He promised me that. Not really comforting but, you know, I'm a missionary. He also wants me to write down my goals as a missionary. And that got me thinking about working to be outward. I still freeze up when I'm trying to decide to talk to a stranger or not! I just don't know what to do! So I might put down the goal of reaching the point of casually talking to people. To anyone. I really want to do that.

Teaching this past week has been tough!! Collega and I have been a little rocky ever since I got the musical number. One of our teachers, Sorella 'Momma' Urban, because she really is a mother to all of us, made Collega and I sit in a room to figure things out because our lessons haven't been the best lately. I finally decided that I like doing missionary work but I don't necessarily like being THE missionary. It's hard to work with someone, especially when they share some personality characteristics, but they don't share the things you think is important that can reach the same end goal. I don't like it. And if it's also how marriage is like...I'm not looking forward to being married either. I might buy a dog instead. Anyway, we finally got things figured out and we're doing better on our lesson plans and stuff. Things are looking up. 

So, I love you and I miss you guys! In fact, you're the only people I write. No one else writes me, expect Ben did once. Shows who your friends are. I saw Spencer a few times here and he seems excited to be going to Iowa. One of the very first things he told me was that he has been getting two page DearElder's from his girlfriend every day. I started laughing because that's not going to last long. I even told him that but he seemed too high in the clouds. One thing I'm grateful for is not having a girlfriend. I honestly don't know how elders do it when they have one. The environment doesn't allow something like that. But I don't have to worry about it.


Love ya!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment